Home About Me FAQs Races Contact

Monday, December 17, 2012

Half Marathon Training Week 8

Preface: I had a really hard time debating what to write today. I went back and forth about actually going on with my half marathon training week 8 post since I've missed a few of weeks, but I felt really guilty considering what happened on Friday. 

There's so much to say about gun control or lack thereof, especially because of the completely differing opinions on the subject in my old home and my new home. But to be honest, I prefer keeping my opinions to myself. With any tragedy, whether it be personal or global, I tend to stay away from the internet for expressing what's on my mind. I always have. Others have posted beautiful words all over blogs and social media sites, but it really is not my thing. All I know is that words just aren't enough.

My heart goes out to Newtown, CT and everyone affected by the shooting.

That all being said, I had a great week for running but I'll make it quick.






Monday - LRR group run. I believe we covered about 4 miles of just slow circuits around the park. Nothing fancy.

Tuesday - OFF

Wednesday - 6 miles

Thursday - OFF. I had planned to do a short run but my hip had been bothering me for a while. I decided to rest instead so it was okay for Saturday.

Friday - OFF

Saturday - 7 miles in total starting with the park run 5K. I pushed myself a bit but I knew I could have done better. I started getting lazy because I knew after the 5K I'd still have about 4 miles to cover. Nonetheless, I came out with a PB of 31:13 which I was proud of. Still in the 31:XX funk which I've been in for about a month or more... Anyone want to pace me? When I say "pace me" I mean chase after me violently with a stick so I can sub 31:00?? Thanks in advance.

Sunday - OFF

What motivates you to do speed work or go faster during a race?? Do you enjoy going beyond your comfort zone or would you rather stay at your "happy pace"?

11 comments:

  1. great work with your PB, even with a bit of slacking! I would never push myself if I knew i had to continue running afterwards. Actually, I never really push myself regardless; I have one pace for all distances - 5k to marathon. That said, if you're ever in the vicinity of london, I'd be happy to chase you with a stick (or just pace you) to a parkrun PB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say that to my running group all the time... "I have one pace, if you tell me to go slower I will just STOP!"
      And I may hold you to that! I doubt I'll be parkrunning in London soon, but I really want to do the London half in 2013 and the full eventually!

      Delete
    2. ooooh which half? i only have reading half in the calendar at the moment so i'm looking for races! i'm deferring my 2013 VLM place because I'm going to be the best cheerleader to the hubs running it instead - check out that newlywed sacrifice! if that's not true love, i don't know what is!

      Delete
    3. The only one that stands out to me is the run to the beat half that's in October I think! I'm so lazy when it comes to researching races, mostly because I don't know where any of them are!! (expat running problems....) if you know any good halfs in the south, let me know!! I'm hoping 2013 will be the year of 13.1 for me!
      and spectating races are the best!!!! VLM will be amazing!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha!! I would volunteer to chase you with a stick! Too funny. Nice job on the miles. And double nice job on listening to your body and taking an off day when you were feeling hip pain. And I saw your comment on Ali's blog and didn't realize the difference in regulations in England and the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If I make it to Orlando any time soon for anything runDisney I will hold you to that chasing me with a stick! haha

      Delete
  4. I'm always SO impressed when I read about your running! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are looking for some running inspiration check out Love Lost by The Temper Trap.

    Also, merry xmas and happy new year. I have really enjoyed your blog. I only run in the gym. I am too scared to do a proper race onutdoors.

    Have you ever taken a spinning class? I really enjoy them. I only learned anout them this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just noticed that in that music video the PE teacher tells them to run sub 30 minutes :) I love that video so much: the stretches, the girls, overcast weather, the weird thing that happens at the end (throwing fireballs?). Also The Temper Trap are wonderful.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love reading what you have to say, so feel free to leave a comment!