Home About Me FAQs Races Contact

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

You Can Never Have Enough Sunglasses

Yesterday was a good day for friends, and more specifically, friends from BOTH sides of the pond!

I got an adorable birthday package from one of my best friends from England. I met her while working on board the Disney Wonder. I think I particularly like her because she's the only English friend I made without the help of the Fiance. Just kidding! That's not WHY I like her, but it definitely helps that she's MY friend, and not Fiance's friend or friend of a friend that puts up with me.

SO thoughtful! Look at all this stuff that just scream TAYLOR!! 





It totally made my day! There also was a bit of chocolate and another bag of my favorite candy (called "Milk Bottles") but I already ate them... Typical.

I also spent some time yesterday with two of my best friends here on this side of the pond. Of course part of the day was spent shopping! I am very proud of myself because I talked myself out of buying all the clothes that I desperately wanted. I tried to be reasonable. I mean, I'm trying to get rid of a lot of my clothes, not accumulate more to take!

One of my friends was in the market for new running sneakers, which of course excited me more than her! Again, I had to resist the temptation of buying running clothes and shoes in every store we went to. All I wanted to do was nerd out with running conversations with everyone. Unfortunately, I don't think many people felt the same way.

I'm proud to say that despite going into 80 athletic shoe stores, a two-story shopping mall, and Target, I only walked out with cheap earrings and a clearance pair of sunglasses, neither of which will tip the scale on my suitcases while I'm packing. Someone more rational than me might say "But uh, you're moving to a place with barely any sunshine! Why do you need another pair of sunglasses?" Well rational person, wherever you are in the world, I might just reply to you, "They were less than $4 and Florida girls live off of sunglasses like you live off of oxygen." Judge me, I dare you.

While I say yesterday was a good day for friends from both sides of the pond, it also made me realize all of the long distance friendships I have, and will always have for the rest of my life. I'm used to saying goodbye to my best friends, if only for a relatively short period of time. I went to college 7 hours away from home, which was hard at times. Now my Florida friends are going to be so far away, and my England friends are going to be the ones I see more often. I have to admit, that was a strange realization for me to make. But the good thing about quality friendships is that it doesn't matter how long you go without seeing or speaking to each other. When you do, you pick up right where you left off like nothing has changed. And that right there is what keeps me going; it keeps me optimistic for everything that is to come.

How have your friends made you smile in the past 24 hours? Do you have friends that live far away that you miss terribly? How do you guys stay connected?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love reading what you have to say, so feel free to leave a comment!