Home About Me FAQs Races Contact

Monday, May 13, 2013

One Of My Best Kept Secrets

Okay, so it's not really a secret... But I'll fill you in anyway.

Recently, my book obsession has skyrocketed. I always joked how my addiction to reading was making me purchase books faster than I was financially capable of. And shhhh! Do not tell me to get a library card! I like LOVE my ever growing book shelf and admiring my collection. (Side note, does anyone want to buy me a bigger book shelf?) I think I would cry if I had to give a book back; we all know I am too good at re-reading them.

More recently, however, I've been buying books on my iPad. And thank the heavens I discovered the 'Great Books for $3.99 or less' page! (Oh and yes, I still have American iTunes... Oops!)

And there you have it, folks: My best kept secret.

See, I told you it really wasn't a secret!


If your looking for some good books but don't always want to splurge, definitely look at the 'Great books for $3.99 or less' page! They offer a bunch of different genres and they all have at least 20 books in the list!

This '$3.99 or less' page honestly changed my life. I'm not even kidding. Last summer I bought a book for 99 cents because, well, why not?! It was the first book in The Mortal Instruments series (titled 'City of Bones'), which is being made into a movie coming out in August. That series plus another series by that author are just below Harry Potter on my favourite books list. That's huge.

Since then, I've purchased many a cheap book off of iTunes, none of which I regret. So here are just a few tips if you do decide to check out the cheap option!

1. Check back often - They add and remove books from the lists quite often. This definitely keeps your options open!

2. Get the samples first - They're free! If you can't wait to read more once the sample is done, you know you are in for a treat!

3. Only go for a certain number of stars - Personally, I only really consider buying these books if they are over 4 stars. That sounds harsh; 4 stars is a great score out of 5 on iTunes. But from what I've noticed, there's obviously a reason why it's ridiculously on sale. So unless I've heard good reviews elsewhere, I won't buy a book from there unless it's over 4 stars.

4. Don't just buy it because it's cheap - I have to talk myself out of sale purchases all the time. Just because it's cheap, doesn't mean it's worth it. If you know you're not going to like it or get through it, don't bother!

5. Look at page numbers - Sometime on the list you'll find shorter books, such as 'midquels', on the list that are only about 40 pages long and go with another book you may or may not have read. So keep an on the page number. If it seems like a low number of pages, it's probably not a full fledged book.

Hopefully this helps your reading addiction like it did for me!

1 comment:

  1. Ive been getting into books lately too. Ive been wanting to join one of the blog book clubs :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love reading what you have to say, so feel free to leave a comment!